Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Quiet Axis

Axis...a centerpiece...something which things revolve around...
Our earth turns on its axis.
Our cars depend on axes for their wheels and tires to spin.
Picture a globe...with a north and south pole,
and an axis joining them.

An axis keeps the globe on course.
It is straight and perfect.
It does not bend nor wobble.
It is necessary, important, vital.

Now,
picture a person, in the role of axis:
in the family...
in the workplace...
in the community...
in the church.

I want to be that person,
to my family.

A quiet, strong, dependable axis.

When things are "normal,"
I am there.
When things are bumpy,
I am there to smoothe things out.
When things are stressful,
I can offer a calm word of encouragement.
When things are happy,
I am there to rejoice.
When things are sad, 
I can provide a shoulder upon which to cry,
a hand-up,
a comforting presence.

Yes, a family needs that quiet axis.
It doesn't necessarily have  to be the mom.
But usually things DO revolve around her.
She's the glue...the ever-present person...
the necessary element
in holding things together,
family-wise.

Of course, it's a balance.
Dad is important, as he is the strong male presence.
He works hard.
He leads.
He mediates and counsels and coaches and encourages.
He hugs and gives pats on the back and high-fives.
He sets the standard of fairness.

But I'm the one who can be the calm in the storm...
the quiet in the midst of uproar,
the peace within the crisis.
My attitude and my demeanor and my reactions
can either make or break the situation.

If I react with thunder and lightning,
the storm roars on.
But if I am still and quietening,
the uproar ceases and is replaced with calm.

Help me, Lord, to be Your quiet axis in my family unit.
Instill in me the peace which passes understanding.
Calm me first so that I can be the calming factor to those I love.

A quiet axis.
That's what I desire to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment